The Washington Peace Center is an anti-racist, grassroots, multi-issue organization working for peace, justice, and nonviolent social change in the metropolitan Washington DC area since 1963.
We envision a world based on respect for people and the planet that is achieved through nonviolence, peace and social justice. How do we define peace? Click here for our Peace Principles.
Our mission is to provide education, resources, and action for those working for positive social change and a world free from oppression. We strengthen the impact of peace and justice movements by:
- fostering greater collaboration among activist groups
- bridging the gap between global, national & local issues and communities, and
- providing the material support to achieve these goals.
• We send out a weekly Activist Alert e-mail listing upcoming peace and justice events in the DC/MD/VA area and providing analysis and actions on current issues. This list goes out to over 2800 people. Sign up to receive the Activist Alert Email in your inbox.
• We produce the Peace Letter, a newspaper for DC area activists that supports local, national and international struggles against oppression and provides an alternative analysis of current events than what is readily available in the corporate media. Click here for our latest issue.
• We host the DC Trainer's Network and organize monthly skillshares on training and facilitation for social change workers. Click here for training resources and please contact us if you’d like trainers or speakers at your event: firstname.lastname@example.org.
II. COMMUNITY RESOURCES
We facilitate and encourage cooperation among local and national peace and social justice groups and provide resources and structural support for such organizations and individuals to work more effectively on their own campaigns and in collaboration with others. We provide all the tools we need to change the world. We provide:
• Event equipment and strategic resources for activist organizations and individuals (that means YOU!) including sound systems, stages, bullhorns, discounted photocopies and many more things to help your activist organization.
• Online Progressive Calendar, which is the most comprehensive online calendar for peace and justice events in the DC/MD/VA area.
• Comprehensive Resource Guide with all the information you need to know to organize actions and events in the DC area.
• Organization Directory listing over 300 local progressive organizations working on social justice issues - searchable by name and topic.
• Coalition Work: We work to build coalition and networking among local peace and justice organizations. We strive to enhance collaboration and communication so that every event and action in the DC area is more efficient and effective, eliminating duplicate efforts and building a stronger and more unified peace and justice movement.
• Annual Activist Awards Grassroots Gala: Every year we honor outstanding local activists and throw a party celebrating the entire progressive community.
The Washington Peace Center supports non-violent direct action for peace and social justice. We provide assistance, leadership and training for direct action that contribute to peace and justice, locally, nationally and internationally.
As a multi-issue group, we work on both peace and justice issues and highlight the connections between issues. We work to highlight the impact of the bloated military budget on the people through discussions of the costs of war. We draw connections between the military-driven priorities of the US government and socialital needs, making war a personal issue for all of us.
We work on a variety of issues including:
- ending the occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan and the military-driven priorities of our governement.
- ending US-sanctioned torture
- local social justice issues such as homelessness, housing and tenants' rights
Click here to see a summary of our Strategic Plan, 2011-2014.
Click here to see Annual Reports and Highlights from this and past years.