Every year, the Washington Peace Center throws the activist party of the season!
The Activist Awards Grassroots Gala is a wonderful event where we celebrate DC activists' hard work and successes in creating a more just and peaceful world. We honor local activists and throw a party for the entire community. This year, for the first time, we'll be holding the Activist Awards in the spring, so save the date!
When: Thursday, March 31 (6:30pm-10pm)
Where: St Stephen's Church, 1525 Newton St NW, Washington DC.
The 2016 winners are....
- The Power to the People Award -- Jenny Tang and Vera Watson, Museum Square Tenants Association, for their organizing to preserve affordable housing at the Museum Square building in Chinatown
- The Speak Truth To Power Award - Dr. Maha Hilal, National Coalition To Protect Civil Freedoms (NCPCF), for her work to end torture, center Muslim families and prisoners impacted by the War on Terror, and organize against Islamophobia.
- The No Justice No Peace Award - Marion Hopkins, Coalition of Concerned Mothers, for co-founding the People's Coalition for Police Accountability after losing her son Gary to police terrorism in 1999, and becoming a leading voice for police accountability nationally.
- The Be The Change Award - People for Fairness Coalition for their consistent work on organizing against homelessness in the District and their annual vigil that pays respect to the homeless lives lost in the District.
- The Another World Is Possible Award - The DC Movement for Black Lives for their organizing against racism, state violence and police brutality, and centering Black lives in DC.
- The People Over Profit Award - Shilpa Joshi, Chesapeake Climate Action Network, for her powerful work for environmental justice that led to anti-fracking legislation wins in Maryland.
- Empowering The Future Youth Award: Rodrigo Velasquez, Mason DREAMERS, for building a more supportive environment for undocumented students on George Mason's campus through the ACCESS Mason Program.
- Helga Herz Lifetime Achievement Award: Sister Megan Rice, Transform Now Ploughshares, for her tireless activism for the abolition of nuclear weapons and serving jail time for breaking into a nuclear plant.
Click here to see the bios for all our 2016 Awardees.
Buy YOUR Tickets NOW here!
Buy Ads here for the Activist Awards and support progressive causes.
Did you know? WPC sustainers get FREE tickets to the Activist Awards! Click here to become a sustainer at just $10/month and get a free ticket, plus know that you'll be supporting peace and justice every day of the year.
Need more reasons to join us? Thanks to everyone who came out for the 2014 Activist Awards. Click here to see the photos from the wonderful evening. Click here to see the event program for the awards ceremony.
Have you been to all nine previous Activist Awards?
- Click here to see all the impressive Awardees from the past nine years.